Ads

Liverpool's win against Borussia Dortmund showed what Jurgen Klopp's heavy metal football is like!

Liverpool's win against Borussia Dortmund showed what Jurgen Klopp's heavy metal football is like!
Liverpool's win against Borussia Dortmund showed what Jurgen Klopp's heavy metal football is like!  


  • Very few clubs have these nights, when the impossible becomes possible
  • Manchester United have them, Chelsea, in recent years, have had them but with Liverpool, they keep happening over and over again
  • It isn't about players or an individual manager: this is part of the club's fabric
  • For the first time since entering retirement, I got home from a game on Thursday and felt like I'd played 
  • I had all emotions of how it used to be as a player. That's how good it was
  • I love the way Klopp urges his players on, I love how he gives the crowd energy. I'd love to have played for him



  • Liverpool's win against Borussia Dortmund showed what Jurgen Klopp's heavy metal football is like!
    Liverpool's win against Borussia Dortmund showed what Jurgen Klopp's heavy metal football is like!  





    So that is what 'heavy metal football' under Jurgen Klopp looks like: it is relentless, intense and dramatic and leaves you breathless. For the first time since entering retirement, I got home from a game on Thursday and felt like I'd played.
    My mind was racing and I found it impossible to sleep. That was something I became accustomed to during my career, but, having sat through Liverpool's extraordinary comeback against Borussia Dortmund, I had all the emotions of how it used to be as a player. That's how good it was.
    I never really used to appreciate the atmosphere inside the stadium for these occasions because I would put myself into a zone where all that mattered was winning. You concentrate so hard on what is happening in front of you, everything else gets blocked out. You play in a bubble


    The exception was Chelsea in the Champions League in 2005. The noise when we went out to warm up that night was like nothing I'd heard before and I remember looking around Anfield in the six minutes of injury time and seeing scarves twirling as fans did all they could to pull us over the line.
    So it was different to be sitting with my son and be able to take everything in, to focus on the way You'll Never Walk Alone was sung and actually experience the fun my family and friends have had down the years!
    But Thursday night also took me back to my childhood. I was fortunate to experience so many great nights representing Liverpool but my best experience as a fan was the 1985 European Cup-winners' Cup semi-final, when Everton battered Bayern Munich into submission.

    Comments

    Ads